Cortown N.S. Newsletter April 2015
January – March 2015
- Congratulations t our U13 quiz team which the Kells Credit Union quiz on 30th January. Team members included Brendan Watters, Ciarán Keating, Kyle Ward and Luca Brady. The team finished 3rd in the Chapter final in Ashbourne. Our U11 team comprised Charlie Smith, Lana Devine, Róisín Watters and Ryan McGuirk and finished in 3rd place in the Kells quiz.
- The School competed in the Football Association of Ireland Schools 5 a side soccer tournament in March. The girls panel included Leah Quail (c), Lauren Doran, Megan Hogan, Kate Clarke, Sophie Heary, Chloe Henry, Cara Henry and Aimee Smith. The boys team performed very well, narrowly missing out on the knockout stages. The panel comprised Ciarán Keating, Mikey Rennicks, Luca Brady, Harry Staunton, Luke Faulkner, Dylan Henry, Theo Staunton and Calvin Quail. Both teams were coached by David Rispin and thanks also to St. Ultan’s for allowing the use of the all weather pitch at Allenstown for training.
- Green Flag – A poster competition on Energy conservation in conjunction with the Green Flag took place before Easter. Prize winners were: Leah Halpin Codd (Junior Infants), Emily McLoughlin (Senior Infants), Gavin Clarke (1st class), Laoise O’Halloran (2nd class), Leanne Kearney (3rd class), Róisín Watters (4th class), Sophie Heary (5th class) and Leah Quail (6th class).
- The 6th class students received Confirmation from Bishop Smith in Bohermeen Church on 18th March. Those confirmed included Lauren Doran, Leah Quail, Caoimhe Woods, Megan Hogan, Aimee Smith, Kate Clarke, Ciarán Keating, Mikey Rennicks, James Kearney and Brendan Watters.
- A Handwriting Competition was held in the Mr. Coogan’s room. The winners were: Aimee Smith, Leah Quail, Ciarán Keating, Megan Hogan, Lauren Doran and Aaron Dunne.
April – June 2015
- The Girls Rounders Championship began on 6th May with an away fixture against Oristown. The boys have an away game against Dunderry on the week of 11th May. The team captains are Sophie Heary and Mikey Rennicks.
- A talk was given in April to the 6th class students on the transition to second level school by Claire Crowley from Family Matters. This workshop had been very kindly organised and sponsored by the Parents Association.
- The First Communion Ceremony takes place on Sunday, 10th May at 10:15am in Cortown Church. Best wishes to Sarah Dunne, Ava Callery, Emma Flanagan, Katie Gartland, Louise Heary, Caoimhe Lynch, Laoise O’Halloran, Colleen Ward, Calvin Brady, Jake Coyne, Tom Flanagan, Ronán McGuirk and Cillian Watters. School is closed on Monday 11th May.
- Swimming classes for students in 1st, 2nd, 5th & 6th began on Tuesday 28th April from 1:15 – 2pm. Other dates are 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th May; 2nd & 9th June.
- A field trip for 4th, 5th & 6th class students to Girley Bog takes place on Thursday 4th June. Field Trip leader is Nuala Madigan from the Irish Peatland Conservation Council. The Council purchased Girley Bog last year.
- Sports Day – Thursday 18th June.
- The Senior school tour this year is to Carlingford Adventure Centre on Monday 15th June, while the Junior Tour to Imaginosity, Dublin goes ahead on 29th May.
- The end of the school year music concert will take place on Wednesday 24th June.
- Graduation Mass and presentations to 6th class students takes place on Thursday 25th June at 11 o’clock.
- The school closes for the summer holidays on Friday 26th June and re-opens on Monday 31st August.
- Congratulations to our SNA Lisa Tormay on the birth of her son Bobby and a word of thanks to Mrs Eunice Murtagh who is covering for her in her absence.
- The Parents Association would like to extend a huge thank you to all who have so generously contributed to our fundraising activities throughout the year. These activities fund important events eg grandparents Mass, Confirmation gifts, Communion refreshments, Sports day, lucky dips for students, Christmas and Easter treats etc. We would also like to thank all who so kindly gave of their time to help at the grandparents Mass.The current Parents Association will sit for two years. At our October 2015 meeting we will invite three people to join the committee so they will have an induction year into the different roles and will be prepared to take over the position in October 2016.